By Itohan Asibor (Blueberry Cakes) Via Cake Faculty
Vanilla Sponge Cake recipe using oil. (without butter or margarine)
This recipe is really good for single tiered cakes iced with butter icing or fondant, and desserts.
However, it is not ideal for sculpting or gravity defying cakes.
8 Large Eggs separated
1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/2 cup Sugar (granulated)
1 cup Sugar (granulated)
2 cups Flour
2 and half teaspoon Baking powder
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Vegetable oil
3/4 cup Milk
2 teaspoons Vanilla flavour
Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
– Separate Egg whites and yolks. Sieve Flour, Baking powder and salt together. Add 1 cup of sugar to the flour and combine.
– In a stand mixer with whisk attachment, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar till foamy.
– Gradually add 1/2 cup of Sugar and keep whisking until stiff peaks form. Transfer the whipped egg foam to another bowl and set aside.
– In the mixer bowl, mix oil, milk, egg yolks and vanilla until pale. Add flour mix to the egg yolk mix and beat for about 2 minutes.[ Pic
– Gradually and gently fold in egg white foam into the flour/yolks mixture until incorporated.
– Bake in ungreased pans. for about 45 minutes.
I used 2 10 inches by 2 inches round pans in the picture